Friday, 17 May 2013


Wanted! New Couple for Friendship - no key swappers please.


Mr. W and I are now in our forties and we are in that wonderful position of having children that can finally run a bath, make a drink and go to the toilet without informing us.  We both feel quite giddy with the freedom and I have to admit, feeling loved up. We can go to the cinema, stately homes, and Sainsbury’s; child free and ready to tut at the sound of crying toddlers. It all reads as good times. 

However we do appear to have lost one thing along the way, and that is, friends. I’m talking joint friends for joint activities. How has this happened?  I’m reminded of that old school poem; ‘Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, moved away, new hideous partner’.  So many of our friends have spilt up and moved on or found new partners with sociopathic tendencies.  As a result of this Mr. W and I have a wine filled picnic basket and no takers.

I’m hoping that this is not an uncommon situation for couples of our age but where are you? Are you at home watching the Friday finale of Masterchef wondering why you’re not drinking G&Ts in a Surrey pub?

In desperation Mr. W and I are considering taking out a personal advertisement.

ISO 40+yr couple for friendship, no key swappers please.
GOSH, LTR, PnP (no clubs!) ALA
Must be able to talk about things other than your gifted and talented children, and how lucky you were to have bought a house in London before the prices went mad. 
Must not be health freaks (please no more running stories, please!)
Must be able to know where the CAPS key is on a keyboard.
Must not be at the end of your relationship (we’ve had enough of awkward, angry days out)
Must not vote Conservative (we are in professions that would make it difficult...really)
Happy to entertain those ‘with the Lord’ but no converting tendencies please, although partner is considering becoming a Buddhist, if that helps.
Finally WE  (Er...not necessary I think....Mr. W?) 

We’ll let you know if we find our perfect match.  I’m off to post this in our local ‘freebie’

Postscript: WE - Well Endowed (for the mildly curious)




1 comment:

  1. I (we) know exactly what you mean. Most of the people of our age - with children - we've met over the years have either been unbearably smug or just plain old unbearable.

    I took to blaming it on "the English" or "the suburbs" or a combination of the two. I had even started to think I was a sociopath.

    ReplyDelete